Sunday, November 27, 2016



December is an amazing time of year.  Christmas and the holidays and snow (if you are lucky!). Santa and snowmen...the list goes on.

The last month of the year has become an even more exciting time for me...

A friend once told me, "Do one thing everyday that scares you." It takes you out of your comfort zone and helps you realize your true potential and heck...it ends up the "scary thing" wasn't as frightening as you thought. :)

My SCARY thing will be to do a 30 Day Writing Challenge in the month of December. Well, really 31... The challenge will revolve around romance short stories that I hope you will enjoy.

  • Will these stories be literary masterpieces? Hell no!
  • Will they have editing mistakes? Probably!
  • Why do it?  To strengthen the creative muscle brain! And who knows...perhaps I will come up with a future novella or series from the characters yet to be seen!

It will start December 1 and run till the new year. I have found 2 great resources to help me gain traction and ideas. Bryn Donovan has a Master List of Romance Conflicts and Mindy Klasky has a great list of traditional Romance Tropes I will be using to aid in this challenge. Lastly, I will set some ground rules to help me stay motivated and challenged along the way.



Ground Rules

1. Each morning I will do a live feed on my Facebook page (another layer of scary...) and randomly select a trope and a romance conflict.  This will allow the story to marinate in my brain over the course of the day.

2. Planning and plotting. I find I am traditionally a pantser writer but in this case planning and plotting will become necessary to get the story written.

  • pantser is someone who, “flies by the seat of their pants,” meaning they don't plan out anything, or plan very little.

3. Max 2 hours of writing time!

4. Editing to 1,500 words. (Yikes - Not a lot to work with but it will hone the craft on creating a defined character arc and story conflict/resolution. No one likes a rambling short story.)


Join me in the month of December for some crazy, wacky, humorous love stories. Visit my Facebook page for morning live feeds and please comment any suggestions!  I would love to incorporate YOUR ideas into these little ditties. <3

Much Love,
NFG




No comments:

Post a Comment