Thursday, December 1, 2016

The Lovers Convention



Short Story 1 of the December 30 Day Writing Challenge

The Lover’s Convention

            Slumping back in an orange plastic chair, I inhaled. Ah, the smell of motor oil in the morning. Blah.
            Tom opened the door from the mechanic’s garage, his dark brown hair disheveled like he ran his hands through it. He looked like a tousled frat boy. Gross.
            “So?” I asked.
            “Were stuck. The part won’t get here until tomorrow.”
            I sat up. “Tomorrow? What the hell? What is it?”
            “The timing belt.”
            “Haven’t you had that checked before?” I asked as if the entitled, everything-handed-to-him guy would even know to do that. He shook his head. “Now what? I have to be in Cleveland for that damn presentation.” Something I’d spent months working on. My one shot at a promotion for regional manager and he just ruined it.
            He plopped down next to me. “Sorry. I didn’t know.”
            “Don’t you perform regular maintenance on your car? Jesus.” I stood pacing the small waiting area as a woman seated across from us set her magazine down to watch me implode. “You’re the most irresponsible human being I know.”
            “Chill out, Lola. It’ll be ok. Let’s get a cab to that hotel we passed a few miles back. We’ll be on the road tomorrow afternoon and in time for your meeting.”
            Screw this. I’d find my own way. Shuffling through my purse my wallet appeared to be missing. “Shit.”
            “What?”
            “Nothing.”
            “No wallet?” I frowned. “Looks like we’re stuck with each other.” He grinned.
***
            The cool air hit me as we entered the hotel. The sweat wicking off my brow provided some relief to the brewing heat inside me. The lobby swarmed with couples rolling neatly packed suitcases across the marble floor.
            “Two rooms, please,” Tom said grabbing his wallet from his pocket.
            “Do you have a reservation?” the attendant asked as her acrylic nails tapped on the keyboard.
            “No.”
            “We have one room available. King size bed, non-smoking.”
            I pushed him to the side. “I’m sorry.” I squinted at her gold plated nametag. “Michelle. But we’ll need two rooms.”        
            “It’s our annual lovers convention. We’re fully booked except for this one room.”
            “What the hell is that?” My fists curled on the marble top. A freaking lovers convention? Great. As if the car wasn’t enough. Now we were sharing a room.
            He smirked handing her his credit card. “We’ll take it.”
***
            “Claimed!” Tossing my overnight bag on the bed I fell into the plush white comforter, my head pounding.
            Tom disappeared into the bathroom. “We can share.”
            Shooting up I said, “Excuse me?  You get the floor.”
            He returned zipping the fly of his tan dress pants. Geez, did he have any manners? “You’ll change your mind later.” Smoothing his hair in the mirror he checked his teeth. Swiping a keycard from the dresser his brown eyes traveled from my feet to my…what? Breasts? “Ready?”
            I crossed my arms over my chest. “For what?”
            “I’m starving and if I have to listen to you drone on about this arrangement, I need a drink.”
            “Fine. But you’re paying.”
***
            We stood at a long table lined with plastic tags set in front of the main banquet room. Apparently this hotel didn’t believe in having a restaurant so we had to resort to their “lovers” reception.
            “Name?” A pretty blonde asked batting her fake eyelashes.
            “We’re not stay…”
            “Harriet and Jim Flankerman,” Tom interrupted. “Here.” He pinned one to my suit jacket.
            “Welcome Mr. and Mrs. Flankerman. And congratulations on your ten year anniversary,” she said excitedly. “Make sure you get your raffle tickets inside. You get one for every year of bliss.”
            I looked at the nametag and a silver heart sticker sheened from the light above. “Trust me, there is no bliss.”
            “Awe, honey, don’t be so shy.” His arm snaked my hip pulling me closer. “She’s being modest.” He lifted his hand to his mouth and whispered to her, “Best. Sex. Ever.”
            The blonde giggled as he whisked me through the main doors.
            “Get off!” I shook from his hold.
            “Careful, Harriet.”
            “It’s not funny, Tom.” He walked to the bar as if he didn’t hear me. “Seriously, don’t touch me again.”
            He ordered two drinks. “The name’s Jim, sweetie. Unless you want to role play again.” He winked at a couple leaving the bar as they overheard our conversation. The woman gave a shy smile as she walked away.
            “Stop, please.”
            “Oh, lighten up. I don’t want to be here either. But there’s nothing we can do about it. So drink and enjoy the evening.” He handed me a glass.
            “We could just get a rental car and drive the rest of the way,” I mumbled.
            He shook his head. “Nope. You need to loose the stick up your ass you’ve had up there since we met.”
            My mouth dropped open as I followed him. “I don’t have a stick.”
            Sitting he said, “Sure you do. What’s your deal, anyway?”
            “My deal is that you’re a chauvinistic frat boy that got a golden ticket to life.”
            He sipped his scotch and leaned back in the chair. “Wow. You’re a piece of work.”
            “You have no clue about me.”
            “That’s right. I don’t. I’ve been trying to figure you out for months. And all I see is…”
            “What?” I spat. What did he see? And why did I suddenly care what he thought?
             “I see a girl carrying the weight of world on her shoulders. Trying to prove something to everyone. When all she needs to be is herself.”
            I blinked. How did he…? What did he…? I smacked my lips together staring into the liquid of my martini glass as if it held all the answers. His hand touched my cheek, moving it to face him. A shock of warmth flooded my insides.
            “Lola.” His lips thinned. “You don’t have to prove anything. You’re good at your job but you would be great if you loosened up a bit.”
             I jerked away. “What do you know?”
            “I know this promotion is important to you. And I also know the big wigs are looking for someone that can unite a team. Be an influencer. Someone that isn’t a drill sergeant.”
            I scoffed.  “I’m an influencer. Tough love motivates.”
            He tilted his head and sighed. “Tough love chases people away.” His words hit like a brick in my chest as the silence fell between us. The chatter in the room was the only sound. “Lola, you have to know, you’re worth more than you give yourself credit for. Let your guard down. Just a little.” I looked at him, his brown eyes kind and sweet. “For me?” His boyish smile could light up a room. He wanted to help me. Why? I had no idea.
            “But what if I do?” I furrowed my brow.
            “And what if you don’t?” His words packed a punch as I thought about that.
            “…As a firefighter Jim was first on the scene and pulled Harriet from the fire. They’ve been together ever since. Let’s welcome our first milestone couple to the stage. Jim and Harriet Flankerman?”
            I shot my head up from my daze. Oh, no.
            Tom smiled. “That’s us.” He snatched my hand dragging me to the front of the room before I knew what was happening. “Come on, Harriet.” Taking the microphone he said, “Thank you. Hello everyone. Wow. What an intro. I mean what can I say?”
            “Tom, stop…” Embarrassed and angered I stared at the floor.
            “Look at her ladies and gentleman. My beautiful wife.” I looked up. Beautiful? His gaze passed through me sending shivers down my spine. “When I pulled Harriet from the fire that day she was speechless. I know, I know. Getting saved by a fireman does that to women. Then I quickly realized it was from smoke inhalation.” The crowd laughed, as I wanted to crawl into the nearest hole and die.
            He tucked a lock of hair behind my ear cupping my cheek. “My Harriet is proud and stubborn, something I find incredibly sexy.”
            My skin turned hot as he took my hand again. This wasn’t about the Flankerman’s. It was about us. His eyes sparkled with sincerity.
            “And I’m the irresponsible wise ass she keeps in line.” He chuckled and stepped closer. “She’s the one that saved me that day not the other way around. I hope she’ll let me steal her heart all over again.” He dropped the mic to his side. “What do you say, Lola?”
            A tear slipped down my cheek. “Tom, I…”
            He slowly leaned forward until his lips met mine. The room spun as I tossed my hands around his neck. Kissing him back the room sounded with applause. “Yeah, Jim!” someone yelled.
            My face heated as I slid it into his chest. He whispered, “I take that as a yes?”
            I nodded. “Only if I can keep my stick.”
            He laughed. “Who’s the wise ass now?”

No comments:

Post a Comment