Monday, December 5, 2016

Amy





Story 5 of the 30 Day Writing Challenge!

Trope: The hero falls for his best friend's sister. She is strictly off limits.
Character Conflict: She may or may not be real...


 Amy

            Beep. Beep. The constant sound droned in my ear causing my eyes to peel open. So tired. The bright hospital lights stung as my vision came into focus. I see her. My Amy. Hovering over me her lips moved, but I couldn’t make out the words. Beep. Beep.
            “Brian?” she asked. I grunted. My throat felt like it was on fire. “Hold on, okay?” The soft skin of her hand brushed my head. “You’re burning up. Let me get someone.”
            She turned to leave as my hand lifted weakly to stop her. The room went black.
***
            I open my eyes to the sound of tears. She held my hand. “Amy…,” I squeaked out as my lips crack.
            Her head lifted from the bedside as the smile on her face melted my insides. “Your awake.”
            “What…happened?”
            Her face sobered. “Car accident. You don’t remember?” I shifted to sit up as pain burned down my leg like wildfire. “Careful. Lay still,” she soothed, covering me with a blanket.
            “It’s…fine,” I objected.
            “Always the tough one.”
            I squeezed her hand. “Kiss me.”
            She laughed. “Dave is right around the corner.”
            Her older brother, Dave, would have my balls in a vice if he found out we were dating. He’d made it clear­–on several occasions–she was off limits.
            “So?” I croaked out. “Come here.” I lifted one arm, the other wrapped in a cast. She kept one eye on the door as she leaned forward.
            “Make it quick,” she giggled. Her lips touched mine and it was as if my body sprung to life. I felt every broken bone as the warmth from her kiss spread over me like a sunrise coming over the horizon. She was my sunrise, my everything. “Are you okay?” I suddenly wondered if we’d been together when the car crashed.
            She grimaced as her full lips tightened. “You should rest.”
            I laughed, the pain in my chest causing my eyes to close. She always put me first. “You look gorgeous, Amy. I love you.”
            She touched my cheek. “I love you too.”
***
            Two months had passed before I started feeling myself again. Hoisting my body into the wheelchair by the bed I moved my casted leg into the brace. Moving toward the kitchen, the house was quiet without Amy. She’d become a ninja slipping out in the night to bypass Dave. The last thing I remember her saying was breakfast was in the fridge.
            Making it into the kitchen I swiped the egg burrito she had wrapped in foil.
            “I see you found my burrito.” I looked over the refrigerator door to find Dave walking into our apartment.
            “I thought A…never mind.” I said with a mouthful of food almost slipping up.
            He set a grocery bag on the counter as if it weighed a ton. “Had a break in class. Thought I’d check on you.”
            I raised an eyebrow. “You’ve checked on me every day since I got home.” He always had an excuse to cut class.
            “Who else is gonna help?” He asked walking into the living room.
            I carted behind him. “Whatever, man. I’m good.”
            “You look like shit,” he said shortly.
            Running my hands through my hair and down my face the long stubble from my chin made me realize I needed to shave. “Yeah, well. I ain’t trying to impress any one.” Except Amy.
            He flicked on the television, surfing the channels with the remote. “What do you want to do today?”
            I shrugged knowing she wouldn’t be back until later. “You could help me shower.”
            His hand dropped to the couch. “No way.”
            I laughed pivoting toward the bathroom.
***
            “Have you been sleeping?” Amy asked as music blared around us at a frat party. I hated these things. The usual beer pong and keg stand hoopla didn’t do it for me anymore. Not since I found her.
             “Not really. Just have a ton of catching up to do before finals.” Missing two months of class and hobbling on a cane didn’t help matters.
            Her brow furrowed. “You want to leave?”
            “Only if you do.”
            “Brian, you need rest. You’ve only been out of your chair a few days. We didn’t have to come.”      
            “But you wanted to.” Moving her long corn silk hair I touched the chain of the necklace I bought her. Smoothing circles on her favorite spot with my thumb, it earned me a delicious shiver as she bit her lip.
            “Hey, Brian!”
            I looked up from my daze quickly dropping my hand. “I’ll be right back,” Amy said leaving the room.
            “Hey,” I called after her.
            “Dude, you look good!” Dave exclaimed smacking me in the chest.
            “Ow. Thanks.” Where did she go? I looked back around the corner.
            “You okay?” He followed my line of sight.
            “Yeah, just your sister…” I trailed off crooking my thumb at the door.
            “Amy?” His lips thinned as he slung his arm around my shoulder. “Come on. Let’s get you a drink.”
***
            “Come here, baby.” Her naked body rose from my embrace to straddle me. “I love you.”
            “I know,” she said with a sigh. Her green eyes pierced me like they always did, saying so much.
            “You okay?” I twirled her hair in my fingers.
            “We need to talk.”
            Here we go. I moved her aside, swinging my feet to the floor. No better cock block than bringing up her brother.
            “We need to tell him, Amy.” I stood pulling on my sweat pants.
            “That’s not what I was going to say.” She covered herself with the sheet. “I got some news today.”
            “What?” I asked sitting on the edge of the bed.
            “I was accepted into an internship program.”
            My eyes widened. “That’s great, Am! Was it the job in New York?”
            “Well, not exactly.” She exhaled. “It’s in Japan.”
            It felt like I took a punch to the stomach. Not what I expected. “Okay, that’s like a world away.”
            “It’s a great opportunity and I accepted.”
            “You accepted already?” I asked as my voice shook.
            “I had to. The deadline was today and I was accepted at the last minute.”
            I stood pacing the room, my anger percolating with each step. “Okay. We can make this work.” My breathing spiked as my heart felt empty. I was going to lose her.
            “Brian, look at me.” My eyes met hers.
            “I leave tomorrow.”
***
            My body jackknifed off the bed. Crunching sounds and screams haunted my dreams lately. I needed Amy.
            Rubbing my face, my eyes settled on her necklace neatly coiled on the nightstand. How could she pull the rug out from underneath me? And what’s with leaving her gift behind? Was this a sign to forget me? I hobbled into the kitchen to get a glass of water just as the front door opened.
            “Oh hey,” Dave said slightly slurring his words.
            I grabbed a glass from the cupboard. “Where were you?”
            “Out.” He stumbled to the couch and I heard his body fall into the cushions.
            I joined him in the adjacent chair. “Good party?”
            “Not a party.” His voice muted by the throw pillow where he landed. He turned his face. “Just me..and a bar.”
            “Are you okay?”
            His face held anguish as he stared at the carpet. “Yeah. It’s just hard, ya know? With Amy and all.” His eyes were bloodshot as if he’d been crying. They were very close. I could only imagine how he must feel with her leaving.
            I felt the same way. Something inside furled in anger. How dare she go without even a good-bye? I looked at him. If Amy wasn’t going to tell him, I would. “I know. I wished she would’ve said something sooner.”
            He sat up. “What do you mean?”
            I sighed scooting to the edge of the chair. “I need to tell you something.”
            “Forget it.” He rubbed his face throwing his hands in the air. “I don’t want to talk about Amy.”
            “We need to.”
            He stood. “No, we don’t,” he said through his teeth as his fists clenched at his sides. Did he know?
            “Did she tell you?”
            His chest heaved as wetness spilled down his cheeks. “Tell me what? You were the last person to see her.”
            “Dave, you should sit.”
            He exhaled visibly shaking with rage. “Just tell me.”
            I swallowed, never seeing him this riled up. My stomach took a nosedive, wondering if I should back track. But what did it matter now? Our relationship was over. She was leaving. “Amy and I…We’ve been seeing each other.”
            His body towered over me as I sunk into the chair.

            “Even if I was okay with this. Which I’m not.” He halted as his lip quivered. “It’s impossible for you to be with her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment