Sunday, December 4, 2016

The Trophy Girl




Story 4 of the 30 Day Writing Challenge!

Trope: Protector - One of our lovers is determined to protect the other
Character Conflict: The have a terrible first impression of one another


The Trophy Girl

            Drifting through the underground roadways of the city the urine saturated subway car filled my nose. Ugh, how can people stand to take this thing? Catching my reflection in the dusty window I swiped a small splotch of red lipstick from my face and fluffed my wavy brown hair.
            With my phone in hand I checked Kevin’s earlier text. Sorry about tonight. Working late. I shoved it in my Louis Vuitton letting my hand fall to my side. Butterflies filled my stomach. He’s worked late every night the last month and he deserved a little fun. And I was going to give it to him.
            Looking over my shoulder my eyes stopped on a large man sitting in the corner wearing his sunglasses. Strange. I sighed looking at the ceiling. Can this car move any faster? I didn’t tell my driver where I was headed since he worked for Kevin. He would’ve tipped him off.
            Suddenly I flew forward, losing my tight grip on the railing. “What the hell?” On my knees a scuffle ensued behind me.
            “Get off me, man!”
            “Shut up.”
            I turned, falling to my ass. The man in sunglasses pinned a street kid to the floor.
            “I was just looking,” the kid said.
            “Let him go!” I yelled trying to gain a foothold to pull myself up.
            The man swiftly removed a pair of handcuffs from his pocket and attached the kid to the leg of a passenger chair. He loomed over me. His black hair tousled his head in waves as a five o’clock shadow dusted his face holding a severe scowl. He held out a hand to help me.
            “Thanks. I think I can manage.” I stood, pulling down my skirt. “What was that?” My tone short.
            “He was going to rob you, ma’am.”
            “Ma’am?” I spat. I was twenty-eight and the farthest thing from being a ma’am. “And to push me out of the way was your best approach? Do you even know who I am?” I asked as if he should. I was all over the gossip columns as Kevin Kennedy’s girlfriend, the CEO of a multi-billion dollar government manufacturing company. From what the magazines said I would soon be his wife.
            “Yes,” he said passively.
            “Good.” He stepped closer taking me by the elbow. “Excuse me, sir. But you can go now. It appears the culprit was caught.” I pointed to the kid.
            “Let me go!” The kid struggled as the handcuffs clanged against the metal rail.
            He glared at him and he stopped. “No can do. I’m following orders.”
            My eyebrows shot up. “Orders?”
            “Yes, ma’am.” He looked at me.
            I pointed a finger into his chest. It bounced off him like a quarter hitting steel. “Call me that one more time…”
            He crossed his arms cocking a slanted brow over his sunglasses. “Mr. Kennedy instructed me to keep an eye on you.”
            I exhaled. Of course he did. “Where’s Frank?” Frank being my usual chaperone.
            “He’s on another job.” That was a lie. Kevin must be onto me, reassigning my bodyguard and all. Frank and I had become close over the last few months. No more than good friends but knowing my Kevin, Frank’s judgment must have been cloudy.
            “Just keep your distance…” I gestured my hand at him.
            “Ryan.”
            “Okay, Ryan. Here are a few ground rules. What I say goes and keep your distance. You can get off at the next stop and leave me be for the evening. That’s an order.”
            He removed his sunglasses, a fading bruise showing above his cheek under the florescent lights. He was a fighter for sure. His stark blue eyes cut through me as they narrowed. Geez. “I only take orders from Mr. Kennedy.”
            “We’ll see.”
            The car slowed and the doors slid open. I hopped out just as they started closing making a run for the stairs. Looking back, Ryan pounded on the glass as it pulled away from the station.
            “Not my first rodeo.” I smiled blowing him a kiss.
***
            Vacuums hummed in the background as I removed my jacket, showing off my black corset top as my breasts spilled over the top. Finding the door to his office slightly ajar I squealed inside from the anticipation. Here I come, baby.
            As I approached muffled voices filtered out. Awe, he was working so hard. He would always take care of me and it showed.
            I reached the door and heard a moan. “What?” I touched the knob when a hand came up behind me, covering my mouth.
            “Don’t scream.” I tensed then quickly realized it was Ryan. He found me. Damn it! How the hell did he know where I was going?
            Squirming in his grasp my teeth cut into his hand. “Fuck,” he whispered in his deep baritone voice. Shoving me into a corner cubical he spun me around.
            “Get off! Seriously, boundaries!”
            “Hush.”
            “Move.” I passed him as the door to Kevin’s office opened. Ryan pushed me into a chair and locked me into it with handcuffs. We were going to have to talk about his Neanderthal approach.
            He put his finger to his mouth as I glared.
            Kevin said, “Let’s get out of here.”
            Ryan straightened and walked over to him. “Mr. Kennedy.”
            I wheeled the chair to the entrance of the cube, squinting in the darkness. Was that his secretary, Mona? I shook as the rage to sock her in the face drove me to insanity.
            “Ryan.” He cleared his throat releasing Mona’s waist. “What are you doing here?”
            “There’s been an incident, sir. Alexis is missing.”
            He narrowed his eyes. “Well find her, Ryan. You were hired to keep her out of my way.”
            My heart sunk to my black booted toes. Out of his way? I jiggled the handcuffs to escape as the metal rubbed against my skin.
            “I know sir. She is…tricky.”
            Kevin laughed. “And that’s why Frank no longer watches her. Find her and let her know I’ll be out late.” He spun to the door without a worry. “Come on, baby.” He slapped Mona’s buttocks and she yelped.
            Ryan waited until they were out of sight and crouched in front of me. He grimaced as he unlocked my wrists free.
            I shot up. “Out of his way, Ryan? That’s what you were hired for?”
            He stood and his jaw noticeably tightened. “Among other things.”
            “How long has that–“ I pointed to his office. “­–been going on?”
            He stood stoic. Not giving anything away as my irritation rose to levels I’d never reached. “Fucking speak!”
            “Which one?”
            Which one. So there were several. Crumbling to the chair it hit me. I was Kevin’s trophy girl. I covered my face with my hands. Stupid.
            “We need to go,” he said.
            I wiped the tears from my face. “Where?”
            “Home.”
            I laughed as my throat clogged from crying. “I don’t live there anymore.”
            He held a hand out to me. “Come with me.”
            Looking up his eyes fell. Was that pity? “No way! Haven’t you done enough?” His eyebrows shot up. “I mean this is your fault.” I stood, snatching my purse and jacket wishing I waited for Kevin in bed. If I didn’t see it, it didn’t happen. All would be fine. “You were supposed to keep me from seeing that!”
            “Seriously, Alexis?” he called as I stomped down the hallway. “You would have found out eventually. Your too smart for your own good.”
            I stopped in my tracks. What did he know? Spinning I said, “Your fired.”
***
            Wrapping my arms around my middle I drifted through the city streets. The fall air hitting my face as I found another bar to drown my sorrows in.
            Sitting I ordered a shot of tequila with a vodka chaser. What was I going to do? I could just suck it up and stay. I mean he did pay my way for everything. I had no degree, no job. All I had were my looks. I chuckled at myself as the chair next to me screeched. Looking up from my haze, Ryan’s large frame sat. A sudden wave of spicy male scent hit me. Yum. Well if Kevin can get his, then maybe I should too.
            “Didn’t I fire you?” I took the shot ignoring my injured libido.
            He ordered from the bartender. “I don’t work for you.”
            I shifted back, the room starting to spin slightly. “Riiiiiggghhht. You work for Kevin.” I raised my glass. “Let’s cheers to the great man.”
            He ignored my request and took a swig of beer. “Are you gonna stay with him?”
            I puffed air from my lips. “Don’t worry, Ry. Can I call you, Ry?” I shook my head. “Your job is safe.”
            “Leave him, Alexis.”
            My glass landed with a thud and I stood, wrapping my hands around his neck. “And what are you offering?” I snorted as he pushed me away.
            “More than he can.”             

No comments:

Post a Comment