Wednesday, December 7, 2016

For Money or Love?





Story 7 of the 30 Day Writing Challenge!

Trope: On the Rocks.  Our couple is going through hard times...
Character Conflict: He's already won...

For Money or Love?

            "Take another look at those winning numbers ladies and gentleman…”
            William did a double take at the television as the edges of the ticket crinkled in his hand. “Wha-what?” He could hardly breathe. “One, sixteen, seventeen, thirty-two, Fifty…holy shit…” The screen of the television burned into his eyes. “They match.” He jumped from the couch. “I won!”
            The unmistaken jingling of keys at the apartment door had him shoving the winning ticket into his worn jeans. He sunk into the couch. He tried slowing his breathing hoping Fara wouldn’t notice.
            “Still on that couch?” she barked as she past him to the kitchen. Every night had become a test of who could yell the loudest. She was miserable.

            “Yeah.”
            “You could help me,” she snapped.
            He huffed following her into the kitchen. Her hand shook as she emptied the grocery bag on the counter. “Let me.”
            “Surprised I only hand to ask once.” He cringed. “Did you find a job?” she asked.
            “No.” He squeezed the bottle of salad dressing in his hand wanting to see it smash on the wall. He should give up the news. There was no need to work. He was a multi-millionaire. A flicker of hope flooded him.
            “Did you even try?”
            He turned to find her normal stance. She stood with one hand on her curvy hip with the other gripping her curly brown hair at the root.
            “Why are you like this?”
            “Because I’m out there working to keep food on the table while you sit on your ass.” His heart broke in two. It surprised him that her words could still hurt after months of belittling. When did things change?
            She stacked the dishes into the washer. “Have you seen Jake’s new car he bought Sophie?”
            He went to the fridge to stock the items she purchased. “I didn’t notice.”
            “That guy would do anything for his wife. He loves her so much.”
            “Stop, Fara. Please.” He couldn’t take it any longer. He wanted nothing than to have her respect. It wasn’t his fault the mill closed.
            “I will when you get your shit together.”
            Slamming the door he walked over to her. “Will you? I mean this seems like more than just the lay off. What’s with you? Is it always about money?”
            “It is now.” Not one of those three words did he find true. Just tell her. He opened his mouth stopping short. Money would never make them happy. Comfortable, maybe. But not happy. Not like they used to be.
            He touched her shoulders. “I can’t help what happened. Please talk to me.”
            She shrugged out of his hold escaping to the other room. “Nothing to say.”
            “Please, baby. I think there’s more you’re not telling me. Is there someone else?”
            She slapped her thighs with her hands. “Why do you always go to that?”
            “Well, I think its natural given you can’t stand to be in the same room as me.”
            “Ugh, this is ridiculous.”
            “Is it?” He pleaded with his eyes, willing her to open up. She used to be so lovely. Joyful even. He ended everyday knowing he married the right woman. But lately he wasn’t so sure. She’d changed. And there was no amount of dollars and wealth that could help her. “Where is the girl I married?” he whispered.
            She visibly shook crumbling to the chair. “I…I don’t know, Will.”
            He exhaled crouching in front of her as he cupped her folded hands. “Hey. It’s just me. I know our situation is not ideal but we can get through this.”
            She stiffened as her leg bounced. The moment of vulnerability slipping away with each second. “We can’t.”
            He jerked back in shock. “Just like that, Fara? You’re willing to throw away twenty some years of marriage like that? At least let me know where things went wrong.” Again the shock of his heart being ground into a fine powder amazed him. Was there anything left?  She opened her mouth to speak and he shook a finger at her. “And if you say it’s because of my unemployment you better think twice.”
            It was the last warning. He was at least trying. The burning need to share that their financial woes were lifted by the lottery gods almost too much to bear. But not until he knew they would be okay. He needed some glimmer of hope they could survive this.
            She swallowed rubbing her lips together. Wrinkles marred her lips and eyes, something he hadn’t noticed. She looked as though she fought a war inside and it showed.
            “I don’t know what happened. I just…”
            He brushed her cheek with his hand but she was cold to his touch. “What, baby.”
            “I don’t think I love you anymore.”
            His hand fell to her nape and squeezed as tears bubbled in his eyes. “You can’t mean that.”
            “I’m sorry. I just don’t have that thing any more right…” Her fist touched her heart.
            “When did this happen?”
            “A while ago.”
            “When was ‘a while ago’?” His words coming out more tense than he’d expected.
            She shrugged, wetness spilling down her cheeks. “Last year, I guess.”
            He swallowed feeling the grief take over his chest. “Keep going.”
            “Its nothing. I just lost it. You used to surprise me with gifts and flowers. Not that those things are important. Its being thought of that I miss the most. And now that the kids are gone it’s like we’ve become friends.”
            His ass hit the floor as he gripped his knees. “Why didn’t you tell me?”
            Her eyes glistened. “I shouldn’t have to.”
            “If I don’t know what wrong, how can I fix it?”
            “You couldn’t tell?” Her voice quivered. “Did you not see the separation between us?”
            He hadn’t. Maybe he was comfortable with their relationship but that didn’t mean he loved her any less. “No…but know I love you.” He knelt beside her. “You have to know that.”
            Her eyes were vacant as they stared through him. His heart leapt to his throat, their entire marriage hanging in the balance. “Can we work on this?”
            She stilled as he waited for an answer. All the wealth in the world would not help them now. She held the key to his happiness and their future. It all came down to her answer. And in that moment his heart burned more than the millions in his pocket.

           
            


No comments:

Post a Comment